Thursday, October 31, 2013

What do you do about car seats & strollers when you travel?

cheap baby travel toys on Graco Travel Set with Canopy for Baby Dolls | ToysRUs
cheap baby travel toys image



ck


I'm thinking of packing up the car seat and checking it in. Then taking an umbrella stroller on board. The problem is hauling the car seat around along with the rest of my bags plus the baby! Is there a better solution? I'm traveling with my 20 month old toddler. Thanks!


Answer
This sounds like Deja Vu! I just flew in May when my daughter was 19 months old and I had to think about all of that as well. Here's what we did and it worked great!!! We checked her luggage in with all of the other suitcases because we didn't need it on the plane. She sat on our laps, we didn't buy her her own seat. Is your toddler in their own seat? If so, then they'll have to sit in the carseat. However, at the end of each flight, I would ask the flight attendant if they're able to transport the seat to the connecting flight's plane, that way, when you arrive at the gate to board the plane, it's there and you just have to install it. I would think that they could easily do it! They move luggage to the connecting flight after all!!! As for the stroller, I brought my normal full size stroller because it was more comfortable for my daughter so that she could lay back and sleep. When you check in explain to them that you need to "gate check" your stroller. They'll give you a tag to put on your stroller so that you/they can identify it. When you go to board the plane, you just take out your toddler, break down your stroller, and leave it right there. They'll take it and store it in a special compartment below the plane. When you land, they automatically bring your stroller out so the moment you step off the plane into that connecting hallway, it's right there! It was so convenient and hassle free to fly that way. I know you didn't ask about this...but here's some other flying pointers that worked for me. I went to the dollar store and bought cheap little toys and stuff and I wouldn't let my daughter see it until the day ofthe flight, that way it was something new for her to play with. Also, if you have a portable DVD player I recommend you bring it. My daughter just sat on our laps and watched her movies most of the flights. Good luck flying!!!

What to do with a 6 month old in a 18 hour car ride?




MMM


My husband and I are going home for the holidays but unfortunately that means an 18 hour car ride. We drive because we enjoy it plus its a lot cheaper. We typically drive for 12 hour then break for 8 (to sleep). What sort of things cn I or should I do with my baby? Should she even stay in a car seat that long? And ideas?


Answer
I travel 10hrs home with my son as well. We take several breaks to let him get out of his car seat, get a diaper change, a bottle, some food and some cuddle time. To keep him occupied we always have toys, blankets, books for him to play with and at 6mnths we never attempted the trip without the trusty soother! If teething remember some tylenol and orajell as well! Sometimes when he was fussy I would have to travel int he back with him, but most of the time he did great during these trips. Best of luck! Our son really liked the winnie the poo soft book that makes crinkly sounds, a soft sesame street book that played music, and we had a crib toy that when pulled played a lullaby that we attached to the handle on the door of the car that we would pull for him and he would sleep. At this age he still slept majority of the trip.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment