Sunday, March 30, 2014

Can I travel to Canada to see a doctor? (I'm American)?




Eric S


I AM WILLING TO PAY FOR TRAVEL HEALTH INSURANCE

I am getting worried because I'm breaking out with mosquito bites and it is not from mosquitoes. I already had chicken pocks when I was a toddler, so it's not that.

I have supposedly a great US health insurance policy because I pay $138 dollars per month in premium.
Then I needed a refill of an anti-depressant prescription and my doctor was out of town. I went to Suburban Hospital and waited 4 hours for a treatment and I got a prescription for a 2-day emergency supply of medicine.

The cost of the 5-minute prescription was $320 dollars plus a $55 dollar co-pay. I paid the $55 co-pay and then found out my health insurance would not cover emergency prescription drug check-ups and decided not to cover, so now I owe over 300 dollars.

I am afraid to go back to the doctor again, I will be billed, then billed again, then billed again. That is NOT okay with me.

Can I come to Canada to get my mosquito bite thing checked? I don't care if I have to wait to be looked at.
When I return after treatment through US customs. I can't wait for them to say "what was the purpose of your trip?"

ME: "I went to Canada because I discovered with one of the best US health insurance policies and $138 premium, it was STILL less costly being uninsured in Canada." The cost is coming from profits to the health insurance industry for their distribution to private investors.
Canadian healthcare is a gift.

The financial stress you get from fearing getting sick in the US makes life day to day more nerve-wrecking. If I ever got cancer, I would have to file bankruptcy, the thought of that just makes me ill.
I would go to Canada for treatment even if I had to pay full cost if not just to make my statement very clear that I am putting my money in a healthcare system I support. In this unusual case, even if my travel policy didn't cover my condition, I want to experience Canada's health system. I'll even pay for it.
Louise, what I have may very well not warrant treatment from any physician, it's more that I want to make a statement about my country's health system.
If I'm a low priority patient in the triage process, I expect that. On the other hand, I'd be paying so Canada's services to me would ease the burden on government costs for someone else's more serious medical needs, or even Canadian medical research. So it wouldn't be selfish.



Answer
You have to be a citizen/permanent resident/refugee to obtain healthcare sans direct cost here. If your travel insurance covers it, and you're willing to pay, you can receive treatment here.

I can't imagine the stress of worrying about paying to be looked at. I have a hard enough of a time dragging myself to the doctor as is, let alone being responsible for hundreds of dollars to pay for it. I feel for you.

It's not just Canada, its most of the developed world. Which is what makes America's situation even more pathetic.

What are the laws on having infants or toddlers riding in tractor trailers without carseats?




crazycutie


No, I am not doing this, but my ex hubby and his silly new wife are traveling all over the coast with their 20 month old baby girl in a tractor trailer and letting her walk all over the place and sit on their laps! Please tell me that this is against the law... It can't be safe.


Answer
Aside from the legal aspects, having a 20 month old baby in a tractor is very likely prohibited by the truck owner's insurance, and would void the policy in case of any accident. Alot of people don't really care what the law says, but if he is an owner-operator, and he realizes that his actions may hurt him in the pocketbook, he may decide to do something differently.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment