Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Need tips for travel sleep for a 1 year old!?

toddler travel bed with sides on Visit Store for Littlelife Compact Travel Bed - �23.50
toddler travel bed with sides image



GirlNextDo


My son is 15 mo and we will be taking a small weekend trip in a couple of weeks. He still sleeps in his crib and that is the only place he likes to sleep. We have a pac n play but I have heard that those are not safe for a toddler to sleep in. Does anyone have any travel bedding tips??? Thanks


Answer
Part of the reason people say the pack and plays are not safe for a baby to sleep in, is because everybody thinks they need to 'pad' the bottom with a heavy blanket or something. No babies are supposed to sleep with a big blanket, same rules with a crib. No heavy blankets, minimal toys/bedding, etc. It should be empty except for him, and maybe a light blanket. Other than that they are perfectly safe when used correctly. Make sure the sides are locked and its set up correctly, Make sure the mat that came with it is in the bottom and of course don't let him sleep on the bassinet or changing insert. hes prolly too big for those anyway. Have fun on your trip. Im sure he'll get pretty worn out on your trip he'll prolly fall asleep anywhere, but if your real worried about him not being able to sleep in it, then have a few test nights, or let him nap in it during the day.

Anybody practicing child led weaning with breastfeeding?




Mommacita7


If so, would you mind sharing your experience and what led you to choose this method? What have been your greatest struggles with breastfeeding? Were you ever tempted to give up? How long did it take before you felt an intense bond with your child through breastfeeding? Did you ever use a pump and bottle? Did you use a pacifier as well? Even if your not practicing child led weaning, please share your breastfeeding experiences!


Answer
I decided from the start to let my son choose when to stop breastfeeding. My mum did this with my brother and he stopped voluntarily at 13months; I have a friend who did the same thing and her son stopped at 18months. My son is still very keen on breastfeeding and is now 35months! I read somewhere that a lot of breastfeeding toddlers elect to stop around 42months, so if we go past that stage I think I will try and encourage him to stop, but for now we're very happy as we are.

The main problem we have had was with my son's father - at first he thought that we should only be doing it ten minutes on each side and on some kind of schedule. He's given up arguing about it now!

There were a few other problems in the early days. When my son was just a few weeks old the health visitor told me he wasn't gaining weight and I wasn't feeding him enough. She also told me I needed to leave him on each breast longer to make sure he got to the hindmilk, which is more nutritious. It turned out to be her scales that were wrong (for goodness sake!) but we had a horrible couple of weeks when I was trying to feed the poor little guy every waking moment.

I also had blocked milk ducts on a few occasions in the first few months (putting cabbage leaves in your bra really does help, no idea why! Or have a warm bath then breastfeed while massaging the blocked area), and once I had a milk blister, which was sore! When it was softened after feeding I yanked it off with tweezers. Gads!! Never thought about giving up though, and definitely no dummies, I just hate the idea of them.

We stopped feeding when we are out at about 12months. Now he just has milk in bed in the morning, when he gets home from nursery and at bedtime (we co-sleep). The exception is when we are traveling. Having endured one flight where he was strapped in a seat and screamed the whole time, I now have him on my lap and feed him and he sleeps. We have travelled successfully on the sleeper train like that too - as long as he has his "udders" he is content to lie down and sleep pretty much anywhere. I will miss that facility when he stops!

Yes I did try expressing - I was never very good at it. I used to pump milk for when my son's dad was looking after him, although he would usually forget to take it anyway. When my son started nursery at 9months I tried to provide a little milk in a bottle to comfort him, but I soon found he was just as happy with strawberry Ovaltine! I've never been able to get him to drink baby formula and he's still not at all keen on cow's milk unless it is flavoured.

I think we bonded straight away - we were stuck by ourselves in hospital for five days after a crash section. He has always looked very special to me when he's feeding. It's nice now that he can talk to find out what he thinks about it all. He is kind to his toys by offering them some milk - I have breastfed great queues of teddy bears, Mickey Mouse, and even Transformers! Wouldn't have missed it for the world :-)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment