Saturday, January 11, 2014

Which stroller/ jogger/ travel system would you recommend for a first time mom?

baby trend travel system toys r us on Trend Lab Chibi Zoo/Riley Tiger and Friends Crib Bumpers - Green/Brown ...
baby trend travel system toys r us image



LondonLou


I have purchased only nursery furniture, clothes and a few toys so far, I am now 29 weeks and it is time to start thinking about baby carriers, transport systems and baby gear but the choice out there is daunting. I know that in a recent crash test on baby car seats they found baby trend and graco to be the safest car seats and bases so thatâs were I think I will start, we need a baby car seat! I was also thinking that I would be carrying my baby in one of those baby Bjorn carriers mostly but not sure if the active or the original is best. Also my Mom is flying in from England for 3 months to help so I want some kind of stroller for her to use as I cant see her using the baby Bjorn. My husband says that if we get a jogger that he will use it to jog on the weekends but I am not sure if they are too bulky for everyday use and at the end of the day when my mom goes home I will ultimately be the one getting it in and out the car and using it as he grows. I canât afford to get one of each
I need advice on the most practical yet safe baby gear. I also need to know if I need to by all this stuff before he is born, my husband seems to think that other than the car seat the rest can wait until our son is born then we can try him out in them but I would prefer to have it on hand before hand. Any advice?



Answer
With so many choices out there it can be confusing trying to figure out what stroller or car seat to buy. My suggestion is to look aroundf or what you feel most comfortable with. Here are a few good things to look for in each item to make sure you get what you really want:

Stroller- Look for these things:
does it fold compactly and easily- with one hand? Can you adjust the handles height if multiple people will be using it ( at 5 ft 1 my needs are very different than my husbands)? can you use it as a car seat combo ( like Graco products)? Do you want a lightweight, mid sized or super delux stroller? Look at the way the child gets strapped into the stroller- is it a five point harness? does it turn easily and can you manage it with one hand not just both?

Car Seats- Obviously safety comes first in this category and it'll depend on if you want an infant seat ( generally 5- 20 lbs.or so)- or a convertable seat ( 5-60 or more lbs.) The advantages of an infant seat are that you can easily take it with you inside where as the convertable seat stays in the car at all times.

Things to think about with a car seat: Take a look at how easily you can buckle the five point harness - is it hard to open and clip? Do the straps adjust easily to make them loose or tight? Some you have to pull apart the whole seat -Will it be easy for you to take your child in and out of the seat - think rainy day here! And the big thing is to test it in your own car! Every car seat fits differently in different cars. What fits in my SUV doesn't work in our mid sized car! Many places will allow you to give them your drivers id and test the seat in your car before you purchase... Babies R Us does this for sure!

My personal favorites from experience are:

Graco Snug Ride Infant Car seat- comes in so many patterns now and is easy to get in and out of the car - always has had a good safety rating - we used them for both children and were very happy with them. You can even purchase an extra base for a second car so it's easier!

Britax on the high end for a convertable car seat- we have the Marathon and LOVE IT- In my opinion it was worth every penny! Easy to instal with the lock off clip once you chnage to forward facing ( 1 year and at laest 20 lbs.)- it stays in the car tightly forward facing - and easy adjustment of straps- plus GREAT safety ratings! I found it easy to use as rear facing seat ytoo - although the placement of the adjustment to loosen the straps was harder in that position - but not awful.

We have a second car seat too- the Graco Safe Seat which I am pleased with as well - it's easy to use and also at a lesser cost has the seat belt lock off clip that keeps it snug against the seat- but this car seat would be the second after an infant seat becuase it is only forward facing.

Strollers - We had a graco stroller for my first daughter that lasted years - great durability, so I can't say a bad thing about Graco. I also have a new Peg Perego Pliko and LOVE it - it folds compactly - it's easy to fold and has plenty of room. My mom has the Combi Cosmo Stroller- only about $60 and it is great- we used it on vacation and I was very pleased - it's a very light weight and compact stroller. Folds so small you won't believe it!

My experience with a jogging stroller is to purchase one that has a front wheel that swivels- I had one that did not and it is extremely difficult to turn or use around corners, etc.. I got rid of it quickly! it is not condusive to shopping or small spaceswithout that feature at all!


Carriers- so many choices too- I useda sling carrier for a while- then wentto the baby bjorn- look online though and search baby carriers- you can get many at better prices than in the stores- and there are lots of choices out there - everything from moby wraps and mei teis to hotslings, etc...
Good luck & have fun shopping!

I need help with stroller-buying. can anyone give advise?




vixalle21


I am expecting a baby and would like to buy one of those travel- system strollers, that comes with the car seat. But, I can't tell whether the carseats i've seen attached to the strollers are the convertible kind (meaning, for newborn, then baby, then toddler, etc). Is there such a thing as a stroller that comes with the convertible-type carseats, or do they only come with the baby carseat and i'll have to buy the toddler carseat later? I'm trying to save money :) Also, where is the best place to buy these types of stroller/carseat combo's? I havent had to shop yet because most of the baby stuff I have is second-hand, but i would like to buy the carseat new, i think that's safer than getting it secondhand.

thanks!



Answer
I worked at toys r us for 8 years.
There are 2 types of strollers:
1. Light weight
2. Regular stroller - meaning it is most likely heavier then the light weight
Car seats
1. Infant - Up to 20 ibs depending on the mfg
2. Convertible - depending on the type, you can use this carseat from time of birth until may 3 or 4 depending on the weight of the child.
3. Booster seat - Used for the age of 4and up. Most states require that a child is in a carseat up until the age of 10.

Travel Systems:
Come with infant car seats. Sometimes you don't need to buy a travel system. You can buy a light stroller, and buy the car seat seperate. Some maufactors sell the car seat and stroller seperate. This is not considered a travel system. But can be less expensive.

If you don't see a stroller that you like, you can always buy a snap and go. A snap in go is made by baby trend, and is basically a frame, which you can place a infant car seat in.

There are no such things such as a convertible carseat that comes with a stroller, only infant carseats.

You can go to different baby stores, like babies r us, walmart, target, etc to look at what they sell. Sometimes toys r us will have a great baby sell in Feb until March, where you could really save some money. What I would suggest no matter where you go, is for you to personally test out the merchandise before purchasing it. That way you have a know how to install it in your car, or how to fold up the stroller. Also most people do not know, but if you find yourself having trouble with putting the carseat in the car properly, you can go to the police department, and they can put it in for you .
If you have any other questions regarding baby products, feel free to email me.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment