Thursday, April 10, 2014

My toddler has C Diff?




Afran


My 3 1/2 year old, which has spastic diplegia, has tested positive for C Diff today. I have done a little bit of research on c diff. I am not really for sure how one can contract this from another, other than touching a sufferer's poop. I know that when I worked in a nursing home, any resident that contracted this infection, was put on isolation, and anytime you go into their room, you gown up. My other son's first birthday party is on Saturday, and we were going to have his party at our house. Should we cancel having guests come over, or should we just take precautions? And also, what are some good ways and good cleaners to do to help keep our house disinfected. How long does C diff normally last? Are there any long term affects from c diff? Also, he still has his appetite, and he is not vomiting anymore, he is just having loose stools every 4-6 hours. Thank You, I am just a little confused on how you can catch this from someone. In my son's case, he caught it from antibiotics.


Answer
Two species of bacteria in the Clostridium difficile and Clostridium botulinum family can become deadly if all the right conditions occur.

Clostridium difficile makes its home among bacteria in the colon. Actually, the best estimate by microbiologists say the gut contanins 100 trillion bacteria consisting of 1000 separate species. Outside of medicine, few people know that 75-80% of our immune cells exist in the human gut. Certain antibiotics given for infection of gums works with a deadly double-edge sword. It can kill the dangerous bacteria causing the infection, but the antibiotic can activate billions of the C difficile that overwhelm the immune system and cause death for some.

Here is some current news you may not want to know. Superbugs found in hospitals and ICUs can travel on air currents while the solid fixtures below are sanitized with disinfectants. Some hospitals may use sterlized air from machines are installed on the walls to clean the air of contamination. You should use your own advice if you think you need to wear a surgical mask in your child's room.

I am not a health-care provider, but I would wear disposal gloves and keep all your child's discarted tissue, clothes and sheets in a separate bag or box so you can decide how to clean or dispose of the materials. Occasionally, I spray the air in my bathroom and kitchen with a large can of Lysol. Bleach is so strong that it kills STDs and HIV, so you might wipe or spray doorknobs and toilet handles in the area of your child's bedroom and bathroom.

Good Luck.

Harrald

I need Input on traveling by Air India with 2 year old daughter.?




payal p


Hi, I am traveling through Air India with my 2 year old daughter from Chicago to Mumbai. This is my first time traveling with her and I am little nervous as I heard some bad things about Air India. I want to know if you have traveled Air India with a toddler and what was your experience like? For example was flight crew helpful? Do they provide warmed milk for toddlers? I know their entertainment system is poor, so can I take portable DVD player for my daughter to watch her favorite shows? I search through their website but I could not find any answer. I also tried to call them on their four different numbers but all of them are always engaged. My journey is very close, so please reply
Thank you.



Answer
you should be fine with the portable dvd player. we travel from japan to the states several times a year and we always bring it for him and it works well for us. other tips- bring her favorite toys and some surprises. i always hit the dollar store (or the 100 yen shop!)ãbefore a flight. we also bring medicine just in case. ibuprofin or tylenol can help with ear pain if she is no longer nursing (nursing helps ears during take off and landing). and you may also want to consider benedryl which can be given to help her sleep. (check with your doctor for the dose). as for the flight staff. they may be too busy to give you special attention but that doesnt mean you wont have help. when i travel alone with the kids people always offer to help- the grandmother type who let my son sleep with his feet on her lap-- the helpful dad on a business trip who will help you carry your stuff when you board. ask people for help--- they want to help but may be shy to offer. also bring lots of snacks and dont be shy about asking for whatever you need during the trip so you daughter wont get dehydrated. also bring plenty of extra clothes for her and an extra shirt for you... i remember the time my son vomited right before landing. what a mess! good luck and have a safe trip!!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment