Monday, December 9, 2013

Toys for a 2 year old on a plane?

baby travel toys uk on Soft Baby and Infant Activity Books From Manhattan Toy.
baby travel toys uk image
Q. The flights about 3 hours. I'm looking for something to keep her occupied, maybe a leapster or something electronic. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!


Answer
Make sure to pack plenty of things to entertain your child, such as a few books, toys, a portable DVD player (be sure to bring extra batteries) or let her use your laptop (make sure it's fully charged) with a few movies, and one or two comfort things such as a favorite blankie or stuffed animal. I always bring a small pillow and blanket from home for my children (even now) because I know 100% that they are clean, and my children are accustomed to them.

My children like to bring along their own coloring books, a Doodle Pad, their Leap Pads (with a few booklets), and scrap paper that they can make their own drawings with and play games such as tic-tac-toe. My daughter used to like to bring along a doodle bear when she was younger so that she could draw on that as well, and my son likes to bring along some action figures to play with. I found that buying a Rose Art kit is great! It has crayons, markers, coloring books, coloring sheets, and stickers that they can color. It definitely keeps them entertained!

You can also play games like pat-a-cake, or I-spy, and tell stories to your child as well. If you tell a story, try to make it an interactive one where she has a part in it so she stays interested.

You might also consider going to the store and letting your child (I let my children start this at the age of one) pick out her own carry on bag and a few inexpensive toys that will be used only once you are on the plane. Be sure to pick out a few toys without her seeing so that she has an extra surprise when she opens her carry on.

Bring Snacks! just add water packets of food, cheerios, goldfish, animal crackers, dried fruit, etc. are great. New regulations also allow you to take beverages (including water) from home as long as they are less than 3oz (100ml), -OR- beverages (including water) of any size that you have purchased from inside the security area onto planes. You can also bring a limited amount of baby food, yogurt, cheese, puddings, etc. with you also as long as they are in containers less than 3oz (100ml)
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

As long as your child is with you, you are able to take as much formula, breast milk, or regular milk that you will need for you child for the duration of the time you will spend in the airport and on the flight (as long as it is within reason).And no, you will NOT have to taste it - no matter what form you bring it in.

All that you must do is:

1. Separate the milk from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size (1 liter) zip-top bag.
2. Declare you have the items to one of the Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

Save your money when it comes to buying water though because the Flight Attendants will provide you with hot or cold water (or any other drink) free at any time that you request, no matter how many times you request it.



I've been flying internationally and domestically with my children since they were 2 months (now 8, 6, & 11weeks). At least three trips a year are the children and I traveling internationally (14+ hours each way) alone. In addition to that, we do another 8-10 international and domestic flights a year as a family. I have never had any problems with my children on any of the flights.

I wrote a small article about flying with children that goes more in-depth, gives security rules and regulations for the US, EU, UK, and Australia, offers tips and tricks for the travel, etc. http://www.angelfire.com/jamiehassen79/flying_children.html

If I can be of any more help or assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Where do I donate a toy for a child right after Christmas and Chanukah? Three Kings Day?

Q. It seems that right after Christmas that many kids get toys that they don't need or want. Instead of returning them, someone could donate them to a child who didn't get any toys on Christmas Day. There ARE twelve days of Christmas, after all (and eight days of Chanukah)! Moreover, since there are so many sales right after Christmas Day (like Boxing Day sales in Canada and the UK), people could get toys cheaper in order to donate more. I am in NYC and cannot seem to find a place to give a new gift to a needy child. Many Latin countries (Italy, Spain, Central and South America), celebrate Three Kings Day, another Christmastime holiday on January 6th, when gifts are given. The twelve days of Christmas end with the Feast of Epiphany also called "The Adoration of the Magi" or "The Manifestation of God." This could be another option for gift-giving.
By the way, why don't Canadians and Americans start celebrating the season on Christmas Eve and end with Three Kings Day? There is all of this pre-holiday hype that begins right after Thanksgiving (and sometimes even before Halloween!), yet Christmas ends for most on Christmas Day, or maybe a couple of days of celebration afterwards if at all. Why not boycott the pre-holiday hype and shopping frenzy by returning to the traditional celebration of Christmas which ends with the Feast of the Epiphany/The Adoration of the Magi/The Manifestation of God -- aka Three Kings Day (on January 6th)? It seems to me that this would make Christmas more of a genuine holiday.


Answer
You could donate your gift to the Ronald McDonald House or to a playroom at a Children's Hospital.

We start Christmas on Dec. 6--the feast of St. Nicholas, with a small bag of chocolate coins, an orange, and some nuts left in their stockings. We also do a Saint Nick craft.

For Christmas Dec. 25--my girls get 3 small gifts from Santa Claus--mostly knick knacks. They got 2 puzzles each and a lite-brite refill this year. We also give them 3 gifts we know they would really like to have. This year the little one got some Little People and the older one got 3 video games--she has wanted since forever. They do get gifts from relatives, thankfully, everyone has tapered it down and our house is not exploding with toys on Christmas Day.

Come January 6th, when the 3 kings get to Bethlehem--we started their journey today. (We place the baby Jesus in the manger on Christmas). Then the angel travels to the kings. Each day we move them closer. On "3 Kings Day" we will have a cake called a Rosca de Reyes.--I've always meant to do this, but I never do. It is wreath shaped and has a baby Jesus in it. Whoever gets it has to throw a get together on February 2. Since it is just me, my dh, and my kids, I will throw the feast on Feb. 2 where we will eat tamales and drink atole. My Christmas tree usually comes down on January 7th. I will probably have to take it down the same day, but I will leave my nativity on the fireplace until February 2.

I'm trying to give my kids a very warm Christmas season. No rushing to shop--things like that. We have days where all we do is go see lights around town--the zoo, the college, the downtown square, certain neighborhoods and the county park. Then on other days, we will look at lights if we are out and about in different parts of town. We also do luminarias and plays and concerts. We pull out all the Christmas movies, cartoons and books. We visit family, we do midnight mass, ice skating in a tiny new mexico mountain village, and we do mexican traditional christmas foods.

I still have to do cookie baking and ornament making. Some people MUST celebrate Christmas on the 25th. That is what works for them, for me, I am just celebrating Christmas my way so that it will be enjoyable for me and my girls. Every year I get better at it--learn more traditions and Christmas history and I try to be more true to the season.

I was born in the U.S. along the Texas, Mexico, New Mexico border, so I have always celebrated a multi-faceted Christmas--a little religious, a little american, a little mexican, a little new mexican and a little texan. I just started a tradition of having ham on Christmas Day--very American--used to be tamales for me--but now I've found a better more traditional day to have them as a main course--February 2. Of course, take me a posada--Christmas play and I will always want for some chocolate and tamales to snack on!!

I hope you enjoy your Christmas Season. Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad. Oh yeah, don't forget to eat some black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment