Monday, April 14, 2014

Traveling with a toddler?




emmadropit


So we are leaving later this week to drive to go see family. This normally takes 16 hours, but we have split it into 2 days so make it easier for our 18 month daughter. Any suggestions about things we can bring to make it less boring for her? We have already mapped out all the spots we can stop and places that might be fun for her along the way.
Or do you think it would be better to try to do it in one shot? When it was just my husband and I, we just drove straight through. I just thought it might be easier on her to not have to spend 16 hours straight in a carseat.



Answer
I would do it in one shot. Bring her favorite toys, some music perhaps a good supply of snacks and liquids, announce an animal you see as you drive by, like "oh look, theres a cow...horse" I took my 2yr old son on a trip from South Dakota to Arkansas in one trip which was 24 hours. I did all that, and would take a break and stretch every 4 hours or so. He did just fine.
These days you also have the option of portable dvd players you can just strap to your headrest and put in an educational movie as well.

Traveling with a toddler?




cece


So in about two months I will be flying with my 18 month old from Massachusetts to Texas. The flight is a little over three hours. My toddler is very wriggly and hasn't even been in a car for longer than two hours (in which she got fussy towards the end). Im traveling by myself with her and I'm just a little nervous that she's gonna freak out on the plane. I have pretty bad anxiety and claustrophobia so the thought of being inclosed on a plane with my screaming child all by myself sounds incredibly overwhelming. anyone flown with their toddler and have any good tips? Did your toddlers cry?


Answer
Traveling with a toddler can be stressful but in my experience it goes better than you might think. Try and make sure your toddler has a nap before the flight if possible. During the flight, make sure you change things up so your toddler doesn't get bored. Play for 20 minutes, then walk him down the aisle to the bathroom and back. Have a snack. Then go for another short walk. My toddler could stand in front of the chairs so she doesn't have to sit all the time - as long as the seatbelt sign isn't on.

Here are some items to bring on the plane: stickers, small toys that aren't choking hazards, notepad and crayons, lots and lots of NEW snacks that you can bring out one at a time, your iPhone or Ipad if you have one, or other electronic device. You can also use the plane TV if your plane has individual screens. Just alternate things and if he cries, walk her up and down the plane. To help with ear pain, bring chewy snacks to help pop the ears.

It is tough but they are all strangers that you'll never see again. Do your best and you'll be ok.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment