Thursday, June 12, 2014

Necessary New Baby Items?




shugarmagn


Ok, I got a registry list from babiesRus...and I only want to register for what I REALLY need for the first few months. Im going to list a few items and Im wondering if you could tell me if I need them. Thanks! :)
Travel Mirror
Bottle Sterilizer
Bottle Drying Rack
Dishwasher Caddy
Insulated tote
Bibs (do newborns really need bibs?)
Digital AND ear thermometer

Ok this next list is under Car Seats(I registered for a SnugRide car seat):
Strap covers, neck wings, head support, full body support, car seat undermat, carrier cover

Ok for the next list, Id like to know if i need these and how many of each of these to register for:
Crib Sheets
Blankets
Receiving Blankets
Waterproof Pads
Sheet Savers
Body suits, cap and booty sets, side snap shirts, pull-over shirts, stretch sleep N play, Cotton overalls, gowns, socks, hangers

Lastly... what should I get for breast feeding accesories, what are must haves?
Lol, sorry for such a lengthy questions.. but thanks SO much in advance!! :)



Answer
If you register for a travel mirror make sure it is big because they are hard to see at a glance and you want enough visibility that you don't have to STARE to see it!! ( I am thinking of the one you install in the car to check in baby while you are driving.. if that is what you mean!!)

If you have a dishwasher that will sterilize your bottles for you, so you don't need that, but absolutely the dishwasher caddy. It holds everything that is to small to go in there. You probably can do with out a drying rack. I like mine, but I used a dishcloth out on the counter for a long time and that worked fine.

Most hospitals are going to give you a diaper bag and they usually will have an insulated pouch. I used mine for a few months and was really happy with it, but they are us ally just black. and sometimes small ( mine was big though so they can be both sizes) so if you want a cutsie one you should register for it.

You do want bibs because you may get a puker. Mine was luckily not, but my girlfriends son "spit up" about every 10 minutes for his first 11 months of life so you may want a few on hand.
Ear thermometers are not recommended for newborns but they are a godsend for toddlers and kind of expensive so you may want to register for one even though you won't use it for a couple of months. Definitely register for a high quality digital rectal thermometer though because these are the most accurate for little ones ( and after the first few times using it you will realize that it doesn't hurt them and they don't even really notice so you won't feel so weird about using it!!)
My snug ride came with an infant head support. The straps were never a problem they didn't dig in so I didn't need the strap covers. I have both a carrier cover and a jj cole bundle me. I live in a cold weather area and the bundle me was amazing. It is warm fleece, can cover their head when you are transporting from house to car, and then zips down or off once you get indoors if it is too warm. It really saved me from having to carry a bunch of extras because I didn't have to carry extra blankets because it was warm enough, and it stayed on the car seat so I didn't have to carry the cover around. I also had the kind that elastic around the top and has a by the top to open and close. That worked best in spring and fall and on rainy days. So I was glad I had that as well but didn't use it that much. I got mine at a children's resale shop for $5
Car seat undermat is a waste in my opinion. My car seat hasn't caused any damage to either cloth or leather seats.
You want at least 2-3 crib sheets. In case baby spits up or pees in the crib you need to have an extra.
Water proof mattress pads will keep your mattress from absorbing any of the above so bacteria wont grow in the mattress from it so have at least 2 of those as well for the same reason as above.
I don't use sheet savers, but I know some who do. It is really a personal choice. Changing that is no different than just changing the whole sheet so I don't bother with them.
I was convinced that I needed tons of receiving blankets and had about 12. I think to this day 6 of them are still unused, A few should do.
Socks work to keep little piggies warm, but you may want a cute pair of booties in case you are going out to show off your little one, they add a nice touch. I found side snap shirts useless, they rode up and were a pain in the rear. Body suits are nice because they don't ride up. They are also all purpose wear. They can be nighties, undershirts, t shirts... the possibilities are endless!! My son lived in sleep and plays. They are cute, comfortable and easy to get them in and out of if you need to. I didn't like overalls ( I was bummed too because I had bought so may pairs!!) because until they can sit up the straps ride up and get in the way. Most clothes will come with hangers but stock up on a few extra just in case.
Good for you breast feeding!! I just have to say one thing, not as discouragement, just friendly advice. I fully expected to breastfeed but could not for various reasons, so make sure you have a small supply of bottle feeding stuff just in case. You should really just try to prepare for all possibilities.
As far as accessories I used ( only for a few days unfortunately) an avent hand pump. They are not to expensive and comfortable to use.
Sorry for being so long winded, I just wish people had told me all of this stuff when I was registering...
One more piece of advice. When registering for your BIG items ( swing, play yard high chair...) get them in neutral colors rather than gender specific so that if your next one is the opposite you wont have to put a little boy in a pink bouncer or visa versa!!!
Good Luck!!

Must Haves on registry?




shugarmagn


Ok, I got a registry list from babiesRus...and I only want to register for what I REALLY need for the first few months. Im going to list a few items and Im wondering if you could tell me if I need them. Thanks! :)
Travel Mirror
Bottle Sterilizer
Bottle Drying Rack
Dishwasher Caddy
Insulated tote
Bibs (do newborns really need bibs?)
Digital AND ear thermometer

Ok this next list is under Car Seats(I registered for a SnugRide car seat):
Strap covers, neck wings, head support, full body support, car seat undermat, carrier cover

Ok for the next list, Id like to know if i need these and how many of each of these to register for:
Crib Sheets
Blankets
Receiving Blankets
Waterproof Pads
Sheet Savers
Body suits, cap and booty sets, side snap shirts, pull-over shirts, stretch sleep N play, Cotton overalls, gowns, socks, hangers

Lastly... what should I get for breast feeding accesories, what are must haves?



Answer
Travel Mirror - YES, so you can see the baby when he/she is rear-facing. A must have.

Bottle Sterilizer - no. soap and hot water is fine. Boil them when they are new, then just wash them well

Bottle Drying Rack - yes. I stored empty bottles upside down on mine when they were dry. Strongly recommend

Dishwasher Caddy - I don't have a dishwasher, but I hear these are needed if you do have one.

Insulated tote - Yes. If you are going to be toting breastmilk, you will need to keep it cool. Similac makes a great one.

Bibs (do newborns really need bibs?) - yes. The drool like mad. the little cloth bibs are great. and when they start eating, you can never have too many.

Digital AND ear thermometer - I use the ear thermometer. I have the same one we use at work (nursing home) and love it....but I am trained on how to use it properly. Not sure if that makes a difference, but some say they are not accurate. it is for me.

SnugRide car seat - very nice. this is what I had and LOVED it. Skip the spare base unless you use the 2nd car a LOT. we bought a 2nd base and used it twice!

Strap covers - yes. they keep the straps from digging in.

neck wings - I am not sure what these are.

head support- get the kind with the small one inside the big one for when the baby is really little

full body support - not needed. blankets work fine

car seat undermat - nope, never had one

carrier cover - a must have for a winter baby

Crib Sheets - 3. one to wash, one to use, and a spare
Blankets - 2 nice ones.
Receiving Blankets - plenty. They get use a lot. and puked on a lot
Waterproof Pads - can never have too many. you can lay the baby one them, change on them, even bath on them
Sheet Savers - I had 2 water proof mattress covers.

Body suits - we used 1-2 per day
cap and booty sets - a couple
side snap shirts - itched my baby too bad to wear
pull-over shirts - only used til the cord fell off
stretch sleep N play - all the wore the first 2 months (so get plenty)
Cotton overalls - didn't wear
gowns - tried them, but she wiggled out of the bottom. other people swear by them. I would say 3.
socks - some thin, some booties
hangers - plenty. the older the baby gets, the more you need.

My personal recommendations:
A wipe warmer - those things are cold!
a bottle warmer - never microwave bottles
Fisher price Crib Aquarium - better than a mobile. my daughter is 10 months and still loves hers
A care kit - nail clippers, nasal aspirator, brush, etc
baby tub - we have the infant to toddler tub. she still uses it.
Hooded towels - Carter's are more $ but they are thick and nice. don't get cheap ones. they are too thin.
Car bottle warmer - a must have for bottles on the go




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment