Saturday, June 14, 2014

Syrian Hamster Questions??




Corrine


Ok, so, on Sunday im going to purchase a Syrian Hamster for my birthday. I wanted to know: what the costs are (minus the cage and hamster which are a present from my grandmother), What brand of cage and food are best, toys ideas, and homemade toy ideas.



please help
Thank youu! (:
i did my research btw(:



Answer
Ik you didn't ask for this, but here are some tips for choosing your hamster. Just look for one that is healthy and moving around. Don't get the first one that walks up to you - he'll be aggressive. And the poor little shy runt in the back is likely to be nervous, which means he'll bite out of fear. This is a link to a page that gives you tips on choosing your hammy :) Just scroll down to the 'Picking a Healthy Hammie' http://www.hamsterific.com/SelectingAHamster.cfm

For cages, I'd get a glass tank with now filters (either in the fish or reptile section of the pet store) then get a mesh lid because these have the most space. Mine is from a brand called Aquafin, I got a 20 gallon long tank for $20. The colorful, tubey, Habitrail/Crittertrail's really don't offer enough room and since its a Syrian, your hamster might get stuck in the tubes. Here's a link to cage standard minimums (ignore the last two): http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61972 Bedding costs depends on the type, size and brand - Carefresh is generally the most expensive, so I only use it for around where my hamster sleeps as its softer than the aspen I use, and the regular is a paper type bedding. I just ordered 60 liters for $20. Cedar, pine, sawdust, and any fluffy beddings should be avoided as they can cause respiratory problems in a hamster. Aspen is basically the only type of wood shaving bedding that I would trust, and it is like half the price of Carefresh.

Get a wheel for your hamster to exercise in! Try a wodent wheel (ASPCA approved) or a silent spinner or flying saucer if you are concerned about squeaky wheels. The wheel should be big enough for them to be able to run without arching their back b/c thats bad for the spine. Also, no wheels with holes as your hamster's foot could get stuck in a slit. These would range from $10-15 for a Syrian I think, as the bigger the wheel size, the more expensive it is.^^

For food, I'd either look for the mixes with mostly seeds and not many corn kernels, apple/banana bits, etc. Stay away from the Nutriphase brand - too much crude fat and fatty, sugary foods in it. You might also want to get a diet that is completely pellets so that your hamster can't pick and choose what he likes (the sunflower seeds, corn kernels, and dried fruit bits) and leave the stuff he doesn't like (the pellet/lab blocks). So something like these two: http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1534 http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3703250 This will be like $10 for 5-10 lbs if you go to the pet store. If you purchase a random mix from Walmart or Target or Shoprite/ a drugstore or something, it'll be a lot cheaper, but they quality might not be as good.
For treats I'd get those treat stick thingys with seeds basically glued together with honey and break off bits and pieces for your hamster to eat. Also, yogurt drops and papaya treats are good, but keep in mind, hamsters are prone to diabetes and these are all high in sugar so feed in moderation. This'll be $5-10 at most. You can also feed hamsters some fruits and veggies! Here's a list of some safe foods (and some foods to avoid): http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters/hamster_fruit_vegetables.htm

Two DIY/homemade treat ideas: http://diyhamster.webs.com/hamstertoys.htm
I'll edit in some tips if I can think of, but I'm kinda drawing a blank right now :x The only thing I can think of is to not handle it for the first two days, no matter how exciting your new hamster seems, because it needs a bit of time to adjust to a new habitat and home. Also, leave a bit of the old hamster bedding in its cage when you clean it the first few times so that its not completely different everytime you clean its cage. You might also want to ask the pet store to include a bit of the bedding with the hamster when they put it into that cardboard travel box they give you.
Oh, and its good that you've already been researching instead of coming immediately on here for info :) Good luck and have fun with your hamster^^
edit: I realized I didn't include prices for a bunch of things! I've gone back and put an estimated price for everything(:

Am I ready for a rat?







I have a cage lined with fleece (washable) with plenty of shelves and toys. I have a water bottle, heavy food dish, litter box (with litter), Reggie Rat food (yes, I will feed it additional veggies/fruits etc. ), hammock, running wheel, travel backpack thing (DIY). Now. This is my problem. I am/possibly will be a 1st time rat owner. I have three inside dogs - a greyhound, a husky, and a dachsund. I also have goats and sheep. I ALSO have to go to middle school from 8 to 3. Will the dogs be a problem? I have to spend about thirty min a day to feed all the animals and such. Will I have enough time for m y rats? During the summer I go to my father's house with three cats. Will this be a problem? Tips about rat care is also welcome. :)
P.S. Will the fabric lined cage work? I was thinking if it pooed in the litter and peed in the cage, could I line it with washable absorbent fabric (fleece) then take it and wash it in the washer machine then put in back in? Do rats actually potty train well enough for that?
If they chew on the fabric can I just replace it or would it be dangerous if they chew? I will have chew blocks and things like that so I would assume they would use that instead, but I suppose you never really know. :)



Answer
The dogs could be a problem as they could cause stress for the rats, but as long as you have the cage somewhere where the dogs can't get to it you should be fine. As for time, just make sure you have at least 30 minutes or so every day and just play with your rats and let them run around outside of their cage. The cats shouldn't be a problem either as long as you keep them away from that cage. And the fabric in the cage should be fine as long as the rats don't chew on it. Some rats litter train very easy and some can be very difficult, it just takes time. And when you wash the fleece make sure you wash it in something very mild, nothing with an overpowering smell. I use Dreft, it's for babies but it smells good (though not too strong) and it very mild. Good luck with your ratties! :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment