Monday, September 9, 2013

Advice for taking our 19 month old son on a long-haul flight (30+ hours)?

best toddler travel toys uk on best sellers the new york times best sellers children s books ...
best toddler travel toys uk image



Steven Jen


Hi, later this year my partner and I are taking our son who will be 19 months old on his first ever flight but I for one am dreading it as it is a long-haul flight going from New Zealand to the UK (via Australia/Singapore and possibly Dubai - depending on which airline we finally decide to book with) for a 3 week stay.

As most boys probably are, our son is very energetic, won't stay still very long at all and gets very bored easily so needs lots of entertaining.

The trip will be well worth it when we do get to the UK as our son has never met any of my side of the family who are all over there. So knowing that alone will help us cope somewhat with any stresses of flying with a young child.

Any advice/tip's/experiences shared etc to help ease the journey will be very much appreciated.

Thanks



Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly transatlantics alone a lot with my three children.

This is a long flight and you're going to need to be organized. I wont lie to you and I have to admit that this was probably the worst age for air travel. They love to move but don't have the reasoning to talk about the fact that sometimes they have to be seated, etc.

I recommend that instead of a diaper bag, purse, etc. you opt for a large backpack. Mine goes up to my knee when placed on the ground. Bring at least two changes of clothes and way more diapers than he usually goes through in the same time frame. He will need more than usual. Take out packs of 10, straight from the pack so that they're really flat and put in a plastic bag, Bind with rubber bands and this will make space. Clothes are rolled, placed in plastic and also bound with rubber bands. Split the supplies between both of you in case you're separated or just so that one can take him somewhere without having to fuss with the gear.

My kids at that age were too active for portable DVD players, although they were useful later. You actually have a number of options as far as gadgets that play movies so find out what works for you and if you think it'll keep him occupied. One tip I got was to burn the movies on to your hard drive if you're bringing a computer to save battery time while watching. Make sure he wears the headphones. Practice at home if necessary.

I found simple toys worked best; toy trucks, toy cars, plastic animals, coloring things (magadoodles as well as old fashioned pens and paper), chunky books with openable flaps, pinwheels, plastic rings that click together, pipe cleaners, play dough, etc. Nothing that makes noise. Even a quiet noise played 10,000 will drive your fellow passengers batty. Make sure some of the toys are new (or at least never seen before) so you can "present" them at critical times, like to offset a tantrum and after the plane pulls away from the gate and everyone is supposed to be seated.

Try to get him off of bottles and on to a sippy cup if possible. But if he's like my son, good luck! Chances are he wont so opt for the bottles with disposable plastic liners. Get the flat liners (not "pop-ins"), premeasure the powder in each, roll it up and put in a ziplock.

I really recommend that he have his own seat. This is a LONG time to be on your laps and he's going to be big and heavy. If you opt to save money, try to get an empty seat on the plane beside you. They often do this for families. Be really nice at check-in.

I always fly with a car seat. This is a whole, big subject. Babies are quieter and more comfortable in their own familiar car seat, as well as much, much safer. It's not that big a deal to take it along. I simply strapped mine to a metal luggage cart and pulled it behind me with the carry-on bags. You do want to check your car seat's compatibility, before you book. Make sure you can use it on board. Different airlines have different rules.

Be sure not to check it as luggage. They often get lost and/or broken en route so either use it on board or gate-check it. You may want to arrange a car seat at your destination but please never use one from a rental car company. Have relatives ask around and make sure it's not too old.

I really recommend a good baby carrier. It is the secret to successfully flying with children. He's far too big for one of those dire "front packs" (like the Bjorn) but something comfortable and perhaps with a back carry is good. If you don't already use a sling or wrap, you may want to get a Mei Tai, Ergo, Beco or similar carrier. They're soft, easy to take along and are magic for calming overtired babies on flights (experience speaking!) Also, in big scary airports, toddlers don't always sit nicely in their strollers and want to be held. As a Flight Attendant, I saw far too many parents trying to get through airports with clingy and sleeping babies over their shoulders. Don't be one of them!

Please don't fret over ears. It's actually a myth that babies have to suck on something for take-off and landing. Sure, if you want to offer a cup to drink, not on landing but at the top of descent (landing is too late) when everyone's ears have to reverse pressure, do so. This is about an hour before. What I do recommend is that you schedule a doctor's visit and make sure he doesn't have any ear blockages or infections. These are dangerous and painful to fly with so just have someone look in his ears. We "caught" one in my toddler son once. But on the flight itself, there is no reason to unnecessarily wake up your child or force him to drink if he doesn't want to.

For more information, nine years ago I wrote an article on this subject. It's based on both my personal and professional experience of flying with children. It's totally non-commercial and other parents from around the world have contributed;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Have a great tr

16 Month Old on Airplane?




Dezzys_Mom


Soon I am going to have to fly to Nevada to see my dad and his fiance, I have to bring along my daughter, who will be 18 months old by then. I am really nervous, even though it is only a 2 hour flight, I know my daughter will not be able to sit still for that long.
I have a couple questions..

1. What stuff for my toddler am I NOT ALLOWED to bring on the plane? (pack in the suitcase, carry on..ect..)

2. How can I keep her occupied during the flight?

3. What do I do if she throws a fit?

4. Should I bring a carseat? Where will she sit?

5. I cant bring any drinks or food for her, can I?

I know it probably will go way easier than I expect, but Im still nervous about it. Please help!



Answer
1.) Here is a list of what you can an cannot bring both in your carry-on and checked bags, direct from the TSA website:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

2.) Pack plenty of things to entertain your daughter. My children bring coloring books, a Doodle Pad, Leap Pads (+ booklets), & scrap paper. My daughter used to like to bring along a doodle bear & my son likes to bring along action figures. I found that a Rose Art kit is great! It has crayons, markers, coloring books & sheets, & stickers. http://www.megabrands.com/en/products/description.php?product_id=1031&brand_id=36&cat=4&age=
I take the contents out of the box & place them in a travel pack. Here is my sons:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamie_hassen/2577667314/ - outside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamie_hassen/2577681352/ - inside

Let your child (I let mine start this at age one) pick out her own carry on bag & a few inexpensive toys that will be used only once you are on the plane. Be sure to pick out a few toys without her seeing so that she has an extra surprise when she opens her carry-on.

3.) Keep your calm and try to distract her with something to play with. You can also get up and walk the aisles with your daughter.

4.) Definitely bring her car seat - you will glad you did! Airlines offer bassinets for some (not all - usually just long-haul) flights. However, the number on board is limited and you are not guaranteed to get one. If you are unable to get one, then you will be holding your child in your lap for the entire flight.

If it is at all possible, I highly suggest you buy your child a seat. Many airlines offer half-price tickets so parents can be guaranteed that their child can travel in a CRS device. You should call your airline to ask for a discount and/or ask what the airline's policy is for using empty seats.

Here is a link where I talk about it's importance:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Al1UbRoXsX5ZhEr3KUq4cuzty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20081020143755AAcr1Qs&show=7#profile-info-e9FRoo9gaa

5.) You are allowed to bring food and drinks for your daughter as well.

Liquid and powder formula, milk, juice, baby food, and water are allowed in quantities over 3oz (100ml). Here is a link that will give you all the details:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApaVhxxUaNiiEsDfths2ADjty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20081002064751AAqUtKH&show=7#profile-info-Y3IuVmeiaa

Bring Snacks! Just add water packets of food, cheerios, pretzels, goldfish, animal crackers, dried fruit, etc. are great. You can also bring a limited amount of yogurt, cheese, puddings, etc. with you as long as they are in containers less than 3oz (100ml)
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10





I've been flying internationally & domestically with my children since they were each 2 months (now 9&6, 10 months and currently pregnant with #4). At least three trips a year are the children & I traveling internationally (14+ hours each way) alone. We do another 8-10 international & domestic flights a year as a family. Due to this, I have written a small article about flying with children that goes more in-depth, gives up to date security rules & regulations for the US, EU, UK, & Australia, offers tips & tricks for the travel, etc.
http://www.angelfire.com/jamiehassen79/flying_children.html

If I can be of any more help or assistance, please feel free to contact me.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment