Friday, November 15, 2013

Flying with my one year old alone.?

toddler travel lap desk on Kids Arts & Crafts: Kids Plastic Lap Tray Desks - Lap Tray (Blue ...
toddler travel lap desk image



akilamoniq


I am flying across country with my 13month old alone. I have to bring his carseat, I need a stroller, and I still have to have a bag with all of our things. Any ideas on how to juggle all of this get through security, the terminal and possibly to the bathroom. Any ideas on how to attach his toddler seat to the stroller.
I actually do have a graco, but it's an infant seat and he's long since outgrown that, he's in a convertable seat now.
Yes I did purchase a seat for him and will be toting a toddler carseat around the airport.



Answer
I've been flying internationally with my children since they were 2 months (now 7&5), and at least 3 of those flight a year are me and the kids by ourselves. Here are some tips and advice that have always worked for me and I hope will help you:


1.) Getting through security with all this stuff is a little tricky, but can be done. Try to check as many things as possible. Then try to place the car seat underneath the stroller. I don't know what kind of carry-on bag you have, but if it is a "bag", then try to hook it around the handle of the stroller, or carry it on your shoulders. If it is a push one, then push it along with the stroller. You can gate check your stroller so that should give you a bit more help with carrying all the things. If you need help, ask the desk agent and they should be able to help you or find someone to help you out.

2.) You will need to have all your sons documents in order. For domestic flights you usually don't need and ID? but it is good to bring along a notarized copy of his birth certificate just in case.


FAA regulations currently allow children under the age of two to fly free of charge as "lap children" (not required to have their own seat). If you are flying internationally, the airline might charge you (I say might because not all do) a 10-20% fee.

The steward/stewardess should place them in a front seat where they will have more room. Most airlines will provide you with a special baby seat belt that hooks onto yours so your child can be buckled up as well. And depending on the airline and length of flight, the steward/stewardess might give you a crib type thing that attaches to the front wall to put your child in (however you can not uses this during take-off and landing).

This is not the safest way for a child to fly and the airlines recommend children to have their own seat with a child safety device, but does not mandate it because of the cost to the parents.

3.) I advise using a CRS (Child Restraint System) because it is safe for the child - especially during turbulence, makes them feel secure, is more comfortable for both parent and child, and gives both of them the opportunity to relax a bit.

A CRS is an airline-approved alternative to using a hard-backed seat and is approved for use on aircraft and for use in motor vehicles. Many people confuse it with a regular car seat, which it is not. http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=29&p_created=1071174367&p_sid=mn66D6wi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWNoaWxk&p_li=&p_topview=1

This website talks about approved CRS devices and their ratings: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CPS/CSSRating/Index.cfm

Many airlines offer half-price tickets so parents can be guaranteed that their child can travel in a CRS device. Parents should call their airline to ask for a discount and/or ask what the airline's policy is for using empty seats.

Ask your airline if they can provide a CRS for your child. If so, you may not be permitted to bring your own CRS on board, and may need to check it as baggage. http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/


4.) For take-offs and landings, the best thing you can do to help with the ear popping, is give your child a bottle to drink (milk, water, juice - it doesn't matter) or a pacifier.

Baby formula is fine to take, and you are not limited to the amount you can bring aboard (as long as your child is with you), do not worry. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm

New regulations allow you to take beverages (including water) from home as long as they are less than 3oz, -OR- beverages (including water) of any size that you have purchased from inside the security area onto planes. You can also bring a limited amount of baby food onto the plane with you. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#10

Save your money when it comes to buying water though because the stewards/stewardess' will provide you with hot or cold water (or any other drink) free at any time that you request, no matter how many times you request it.

Another trick is that if your child is not taking to the pacifier or wanting to drink, gently rub his neck from the chin down to the chest several times - this will cause a swallowing motion which will help with the ears popping.

5.) Pack a few instant hot/cold cereals, instant rice, and other just-add-water packets (age appropriate, of course). The stewards/stewardess' will provide you with hot or cold water upon request. You can also bring a limited amount of baby food and a few other non-perishable snack items, such as cheerios. Drinks will be provided free at any time that you request, no matter how many times you request.

6.) Make sure to pack plenty of things to entertain your child. A few of his favorite toys, books, and any comfort things such as a blankie. It is also a good idea to buy a few inexpensive toys that you will give to him only once on the plane. It will hep to keep him occupied.

7.) Be sure to pack 2-3 changes of clothes for your child. You will need this in case he gets sick, spills something on himself, or in case your luggage gets lost.

8.) Keep your diaper bag well stocked with plenty of diapers, wipes, ointments and other essential things. Baby nail clippers and scissors are not allowed though. Just remember the new regulating liquids, gels, and such and pack accordingly. You can usually find travel size baby products in stores and they are wonderful for plane use.

9.) Keep your doctors name and number with you. Also get the name and number of a doctor where you are visiting in case an emergency should come up.

Also it is a good idea to have a check-up with your doctor before leaving to make sure your child is healthy enough to fly. If he has even a slight cold, the pressure in her ears during take-off and landing (even if you do the precaution methods) could leave his ears aching for days after the flight.

Most doctors recommend that if anyone is sick (such as being stuffed up or already having an earache), not to take the flight because of the potential damage to the ears. I know my husband and other pilots do not work if they are sick because of this danger.

10.) Bring any medications that you might need for your child should he get sick or that he takes regularly. Remember that if they are not prescription medications, the 3oz rule applies to them and they must be kept in a clear plastic bag.

Do NOT give your child medicine with the hopes of it making him sleep. This is not only cruel, but dangerous as well.

11.) Last but not least, if help is offered to you, take it.


I hope they have a great trip, and if I can be of any more assistance, please feel free to contact me

Help! Traveling alone with 4 year old and 1 year old?




two.sweetk


I'm going to be traveling with my 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son in three weeks. My husband cannot come. We are flying across the country to visit my brother and his wife and kids. I'm freaking out! I've been really busy up until now with other things, and now that I have time to focus on this trip I realize that this is going to be extremely difficult. =(

I'm not going to bring a carseat for my 4 year old because my brother's son just moved up to a booster and so they have a carseat in good condition that has not expired or anything. They are installing that for us, and their car is the only one we will drive around in, so we are all set. Unfortunately they do not have a seat for my baby, so I'm going to have to bring his. He is 18 months old and forward facing in a Britax Marathon. I'm planning on bringing our cheap umbrella stroller for my son to sit it. My daughter will walk. I will only have a large backback with all of our carry-on things in it, and I'll check
Our one suitcase with our clothes, shoes, etc in it. My questions (sorry that this is so long!) are: How am I supposed to get the carseat thru the airport?? What are good ways to entertain my kids on the flight? I'm so nervous. I have always had my husband to help me before this trip, and I don't know what I'm going to do!! I wish he could come! Please help!! Any advice would be great. :)



Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly a lot with my three children. We usually fly between Europe and California about twice a year, plus other shorter flights. My husband can *never* come. Even when he does, he flies in later and leaves earlier.

We also always have a car seat with us.

There are several solutions.

One is to skip the umbrella stroller and see if you can wedge your Marathon into your more solid car seat. There is not advantage to taking an umbrella stroller since you have to gate check it anyway (never bring any stroller on board an aircraft, no place to stow and dangerous in overhead bins). Use a bungee cord to anchor it together. At the gate, bring the car seat on board and gate check the stroller.

You can also try bungee cording your Marathon to the back of the stroller, depending on the model. Works for some parents.

Another option is to either check or leave the stroller and strap your car seat either on to a GogoKidz (a product specific to getting car seats through air ports);

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

OR save $90 and do what I do with my Radian and strap it to a small all-metal luggage cart. I use an extra bungee cord. I skip the stroller and my child can actually ride in it.

There are some other products sold. These are just examples;

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Attach-Rolling-Carry/dp/B000JHN3AS
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/363756.html

Just go to a travel website or look on Amazon and check out all the travel options they have.

If you think you can't handle the Marathon, you can get a cheaper, lighter seat for travel. I used to use an old version of this seat;

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4083774

Sometimes it's on sale for as little as $40. It gets good reviews from car seat techs and you can then use it as a second seat.

For your 4 year old, this is a good product, although expensive;

http://kidsflysafe.com/

They are being rented on Ebay and Craigslist, as well as having good resale potiential.

Try to use the car seat on board. The marginal inconvenience of taking it to the gate is well offset but making life easier on board. Children are quieter and calmer in their familiar seats and technically, lap children are not safe in an emergency. It's so nice to have mine sleeping safely in their seats and I could get some rest too.

Car seats should never be checked in with luggage. They can easily be lost and/or broken en route. If you can't use it on board, it will then be gate-checked which is gentlier than checking it in at the desk. If you have booked a seat for your son, it's your legal right to use the Marathon on board.

If you haven't booked a seat for him, find out if there are any empty seats and ask if you can "block" a seat next to you. They often do this for families and only use the seat if absolutely necessary. Keep your seat till you get to the gate to find out if you can manage this.

Try to sit in the "bulkhead" seats. These are the ones with a wall in front, located in different places depending on the aircraft. With no one in front, it's easier with children.

I also recommend a really good baby carrier. No way can he go in one of those awful Bjorns but a sling, Becco, Ergo or wrap is fine for him. This really made transatlantic travel with three small closely spaced children much, much easier. I'm not sure how I would have managed without my sling. Magic for calming babies on board and saved my back!

For more information and tips, I wrote an entirely non-commercial article based on both my practical and personal experience. I go more into details on packing, security, etc.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com...

My contact details are at the end if you have further questions.

Good luck and have a great flight!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment