Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What should I do to make my baby (4months old) at ease at her first International Flight?

baby toys for airplane travel on ... or we'll shop elsewhere for our dog beds, cat trees, toys, and treats
baby toys for airplane travel image



Sexy Mama


We gonna do some travelling at the end of this month, and Im kinda worried about my lil girl. This will be her first flight ever. What stuff should I do so she will ok with the flight? please help!


Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant who now flies a lot with my own kids transatlantically. Each of mine flew for the first time from Europe to California at this age and went *great* every time. I now wish it were still so easy (they're 3, 5 & 8 now).

I do recommend that she has her own seat. This is the only way to fly safely with an infant.

First, check that your carseat is FAA approved;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_childr...
Most carseats in the U.S. are but check. If you purchase a seat for your baby and you have an approved carseat, it's your right to use it. Disregard this statement if you are not flying on a U.S. company. Check with your airline and/or Aviation authority (i.e. the C.A.A. in the U.K.)

Also get out your owner's manual and see what they have to say about airplane use. Some recommend not using the base. Decide if you need the base at all for your trip and can install it without. The inconvenience of the seatbelt installation might be offset by not having to drag the base along. Only do this if the manufacturer recommends it.

If you didn't purchase a seat, request that they "block" a seat next to you if the flight isn't full. Usually they try to comply since it makes the trip more comfortable for the parents, the child and the people around them.

Up to two years old, they can sit on your lap but they aren't protected if anything goes wrong. Having said that, there is very little chance on a commercial flight of anything happening. If you do travel with her in your lap, be sure she's completely loose and not attached to you in any way, no seatbelts, carriers, etc.

She should be in the seat for take-off and landing. Many articles, mostly written by people who have never worked in the airline industry, claim that you're supposed to make them suck something on "take-off" and "landing". This is a bit of an old wives' tale. You can do that on any time during the ascent (after take-off, while the plane is reaching cruising altitude) and the only time I saw people having problems when I worked was at the TOP of descent when the ears have to adjust the other way. Landing, when the plane reaches the ground, is too late.

If you're concerned about her ears, schedule a "well baby" visit right before leaving and have the doctor look in her ears. Infections don't always have symptoms (experience speaking!) Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes. I honestly saw few problems in my 13 year career. I almost always used a carseat (only when foreign carriers removed them for non-logical reasons). Only one had bottles and none had a pacifier and I never had ear problems with any of them.

Try to book "bulkhead" seats. These are the ones with the wall in the front, in various locations depending on the aircraft. It's so much easier to get up and out of them with a baby. Please book these well in advance as they are very popular. Flight Attendants don't handle seating, except once in awhile to do trades. These are popular seats so call the airlines and arrange for them as soon as possible. If that can't be managed, talk to them when you check-in.

Hopefully, you can place the carseat in the stroller to get it to the gate. At check-in, they will place a tag on it but you can keep it till you get to the door of the aircraft. Make sure the tag goes somewhere that it wont get crushed or hidden when you fold it down.

When you go to turn it over before boarding, make sure there are no "extras" attached like cup holders, toys, etc. (try to remove them before leaving for the airport). Attach the straps and bring a bungee cord to double-secure it. That way, it wont pop open en route and risk getting damaged.

I found using a good baby carrier to be *the* secret to flying a with children. If mine would fuss, I only had to put them in and walk around and they would quiet down. Often it was easier to chuck the bags on the stroller and put the baby in the carrier. Forget highly commercialized "front packs" like the Bjorn and get something comfortable and useful and one you can sit down with. I had a sling but a Mei Tai, wrap or pouch would work well too (less expensive and can be used for longer too). Make sure you're confident with its use before leaving as there is sometimes a learning curve. Believe me, it's well worth learning! It made Life With An Infant easier too. Many moms would ask me where I got mine, when they saw how helpful it was.

Bring 1/3 more diapers than you think you need and at least one change of clothes. For this age, I went ahead and dressed them in sleepsuits. No one blinks and I saw it a lot working.

If she's breastfed, you're set. It'll be that much easier since she's too young for solids (messy on the airplane!) If you bottlefeed, get the type of bottles that have the disposable liners (Avent, Playtex, perhaps other brands). I would premix the powder and roll them up in a ziplock bag, pop them in the bottle, fill with water and throw out the liners as I used them. There are no "real" sinks on an airplane so washing bottles is a bit tricky. With these bottles, you only have to wash the ring and the nipple. Much, much easier!

Also, since there is no health-advantage to warming bottles, get her used to a room-temperature one before leaving. Sure, I warmed many a bottle in my career but there are no F/A's to help with this task in the check-in line, the waiting area, customs, etc.

I get a lot of questions on this subject so seven years ago I wrote an article for a local newsletter. Later on, I expanded it and put it on a blog to share with other parents. It's totally non-commercial;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Babies often fuss during boarding but please don't think it's a bad start. Really, most of our tiny fliers did really great, especially at this tender age.

Have a good trip!

Are double jogging strollers allowed on airplanes?




Armywife3J


We'll be going home to visit soon so I wanted to buy a double stroller but I don't want to waste money b/c i want a jogging stroller so that my husband and I can go running together with the kids in the stroller instead of taking turns.But I didn't know if I can also take in on the airplane when we go home to visit or not, I hope so it'll make things so much easier.


Answer
What kind of stroller you have doesn't matter but you can't take them onboard. First, there's no way to stow them. Even on a 747, the closets are limited. Strollers are dangerous in overhead bins and should never be placed there anyway.

When you check-in, they'll tag it. You can then use it to get to the gate and you leave on the jetway, after folding it, where it will be loaded into the hold. When you arrive at your destination, it will again, be on the jetway.

If you don't have a jetway, it'll be on the tarmack, next to the "airstairs" when you come down.

Some tips;
-Make sure of the procedure I just described. This is how it is at the majority of airports but there are always exceptions so don't assume, ask!
-Remove all the "extras" like the cup holders, any toys, etc. Depending on the design, perhaps pack the sunshades.
-Attach the straps
-Bring a bungee cord to double secure it. If it pops open en route, don't have them smashing it together.
-When you disembark, if there is more than one door, ask which one has your stroller. It also might be annouced after landing so listen. This will avoid the inconvenience of going through the wrong one and having to snake back onboard to get to the other door, etc.

Sometimes you can cover them in a big plastic bag but I suggest this if you check it in intially. Only do this if you wont need it to get to the gate.

Get something really sturdy. They can get damaged, even with gate-checking, which is supposed to be gentler. Something that folds well might also be a consideration. I will say after 3 kids and my fair share of strollers, you get what you pay for.

Your other alternative is to use two umbrella strollers for travel. You wouldn't be able to jog on your visit though. I actually never use my double. Even alone with three, I manage with only one stroller, a baby carrier and one who has to walk.

I was a F/A for 13 years, most of it "pre-baby". Now I fly between Europe and California with my three about every six months plus shorter flights in between. I wrote a totally non-commercial article on flying with children, which I put on a blog to share. When you go to fly, you might find it helpful;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Happy shopping!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment