Thursday, November 14, 2013

What are the requirements for a toddler traveling out of the country?

have toddler will travel on Traveling with kids this spring break? We have tips! |
have toddler will travel image



Erica


My one year old will be traveling to England with his grandmother in October. I know when my husband was younger he could travel on his parents passports for awhile but I don't know if that would work or if I have to get him his own.


Answer
He will need his own passport. It is currently taking 4 to 6 weeks to get a passport. See site below for all passport application info for a child. He will also need a letter of permission signed by both parents and notarized. see 2nd site. On 4th page, you can print out a form. You are wise to be planning ahead like this.

What are the emotional and physical risks of having a toddler traveling about 6 times a year?




Marlena St


I have a two year old daughter whom lives here in Florida with me. I left her Father because he basically sucks, I'll just leave it at that. He lives in Buffalo, NY. About six times a year his mother flies down here, picks her up, and takes her back to NY so she can visit with her Father and his family there. He doesn't come and get her because he's terrified of planes. When the week is over, I fly up there and come back to Florida with her. While she is there I know for a fact she is exposed to a ton of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately, it's not illegal to smoke around children. There is nothing I can do about this unless she develops health issues because of it but I wouldn't want it to have to come to that. When she returns home with me, she always seems unwell physically and emotionally. She's not her bubbly, loving self. She keeps to herself for the most part and is incredibly clingy with me. She doesn't want to leave my side. When I ask her if she wants to Skype with her Father, she cries and yells no. I have no choice other than to allow her to continue going up there but I want to know what the long term affects of all this back and forth traveling will be for her. I worry about her well being so much. We plan on taking her Father back to Court with more money and a better Attorney this time but I don't know what I can even accomplish in doing so. Any positive advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.


Answer
I'm not a lawyer and it would be in your best interest to sit down with one and let them know what your goals are and create a strategy to get there. In my experience, you'll have to be very proactive, do your own research and do all the legwork. Keep a binder (or several) so you can keep everything organized - keep a record of how she behaves when she's been with you and returns to "normal," how she behaves when she has to go, what she's like when she returns, has contact with dad, etc.

Ask if you should get expert testimony either that this sort of arrangement doesn't work for her and dad needs to come see her in her natural environment and would be allowed to do that liberally or that the environment she is in while there is unsuitable.

You can also consult with a few child psychologists to ask their opinion.

In the end, if she has to go with him, it makes sense to try to be as firm but cordial as possible with him. Children will dread visits even more if mom has a lot of fear, anger and apprehension about it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment