Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Would I have been smarter if my parents read to me?




S


I'm an adult now, but my parents never read to me (that I can remember). After browsing several parenting resources, it seems that a lot can be done to help your child develop intellectually that my parents never did for me. Are activities like reading to your children essential for maximizing their potential? If these activities are not performed, would that basically be cutting short their intellectual potential?


Answer
I wouldn't go as far as saying "cutting short their intellectual potential?", but I do believe reading (to the baby) from the earliest age onwards, is beneficial. and so is music, and apparently also while still in the womb - classical music that is.
children are like sponges for the first few years of their development - even languages can be learned easily at preschool age.

I am an avid reader and had books all my life - started as a toddler, and then thanks to an aunt, every occasion warranted a book. By the age of ten I had a library of well over fifty hard covers. Then I started to read (sneak) my parent's books, with all the "good stuff" in it.

Today I still spend more time reading than I watch TV: two newspapers per day, two or three magazines a week and a book every two to three weeks (unless I travel, then I get through a book in no time). Then there's the stuff at work - work related magazines mostly.

Not certain it made me 'smarter', but I know it let's me hold my own in most discussions; besides, there's so much to know, and so little time.

And here's the key: it's not too late! Start reading, find interesting topics and go for it. I just read a book on Magellan's (discovery) travels -- fascinating!
And parallel I'm reading a book on the history of salt - opens a new world perspective.

How do you think a child's level of intelligence can be developed?




Cheshire R


I personally think you can either have it or not. You can't develop something that's not there.
Laurence W, I don't agree. Your nephew succeeded in something that he was already good at. he succeeded in an area that concerned computers, and he was already familiar with this area of study, so that doesn't count.



Answer
In a certain sense, you're right. If a person is of borderline intelligence (IQ 70-85) or mentally deficient, there is a limit to the amount that that person's intelligence can be developed. Certainly a child with an IQ of 80 who is nurtured, stimulated, and appropriately educated will fare better than a child with the same intelligence who is not given these advantages, but you are right in suggesting that there are certain limitations which may be impossible to overcome.

In children who fall within the "average" range of intelligence, however, research suggests that adult IQ is about 50% the result of genetic influences, and 50% the result of environmental infleunces-- half "nature," half "nurture."

That element of "nurture" is key, and is the basis for many ways in which a child's intelligence can be developed:

1.) Appropriate stimulation in the early environment is key to achieving intellectual potential. Babies and toddlers need to be held frequently, engaged through facial expressions and conversation, and encouraged to play with age-appropriate toys.
2.) Physically, a good diet and proper exercise are essential for the development of healthy brain function; studies have confirmed that children who are consistently well-nourished and physically active perform much better in school.
3.) Reading to young children promotes bonding and helps to solidify the understanding of the language system, both of which heighten intellectual potential, in addition to improving memory, increasing attention span, and building vocabulary. Older children can be regularly taken to the library, where they can read on their own or participate in activities such as storytelling.
4.) Creating opportunities for frequent verbal interaction with children (dinner-table discussion, etc.) helps to build their language skills and vocabulary.
5.) "Mental gymnastics" (particularly those that make use of strategy) stimulate the mind, improve verbal skills, build concentration, and improve powers of perception and reasoning. This might include games such as chess, checkers, crossword puzzles, word games (e.g., Scrabble) and mathematical or other problem-solving games.
6.) Music is well-known for its tendency to provide an intellectual "boost"; musical training promotes learning of a symbol system, increases creativity, and helps to strengthen basic mathematical skills.
7.) Exposure to a wide variety of experiences is another essential building block for intelligence. Cultural events, such as plays and concerts, museum visits, and travel to places of historical significance (providing appropriate background information) are all enriching to children.

Hope this helps! :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment