Thursday, December 26, 2013

Do you think it will be comfortable traveling in economy class of Emirates with a 5 months old baby?

toddler travel seat for airplane on Toddler's Travels - Gogo Kidz Travelmate
toddler travel seat for airplane image



star_unkno


I'm planning to travel from Dhaka, bangladesh to London, UK with my 5 months old daughter in economy class of Emirates. Has anyone travelled with infant in economy class? Do you think its better to go in business class? I'm travelling alone and I breast feed my baby. Thanks


Answer
I'm an ex-Flight Attendant and although I've never flown Emirates, I've flown a lot with my own babies at that age. That airline has a good reputation and 5 months is actually a good age to fly. It gets tricky with toddlers who don't like to stay in one place. You wont have that to worry about for a while...

At five months, your baby wont need food, wont crawl and will probably sleep most of the time. Here is Emirates' page on infants;
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/flying/young_flyers/special_care/travelling_with_infants.aspx

As a Flight Attendant, I have to be honest and tell you that having your little one in a car seat in his own seat is the only way to travel safely. As a parent, especially if you're alone, I can say that having that car seat makes travel much, much easier. Under two, you're allowed to hold them on your lap but if anything goes wrong, your baby is not protected. It's so nice to put the baby down somewhere too.

Emirates allows European, American and Australian approved seats so check yours'. They have the silly rule about only forward facing seats. Babies shouldn't ride in cars facing forward till 12 months old so I don't see why they have this rule. I hope you can work around it.

They also say that you have to have a ticket but often you can secure an extra seat at check-in if there's room. See if you can manage this at check-in.

Emirates does have bassinets, which are convenient with an 11 kilos limit. They'll give you one after take-off if you're in a "bulkhead" seat so be sure to try to book that one on both legs of your journey.

Since you breastfeed, not only will your baby be protected from a lot of the various viruses and bacteria on the plane but it makes flying a lot easier (experience with both here so I can compare!) Just make sure you get enough to drink since airplane air is very dry and traveling can tire you out. I can assure you that in 13 years in the air and countless breastfeeding transatlantics with my own three breastfed children, it's not a problem on board.

Please do not heed any "helpful" tips to sit by a window for privacy. That would be really inconvenient and not necessary. Try for the bulkhead, if not, an aisle. If you want to cover up, practice at home first. This was my mistake. They hated having something over their heads and would yank it off. Bring your own cover as airline blankets can be heavy.

My secret to easy travel was to have a good baby carrier. I know they use these a lot in Bangladesh and you probably already have one. Convenient for breastfeeding and getting on and off the aircraft, which you will be doing at least 4 times.

I have to say that I think you're probably flying one of the easiest routes to London. I used to live in London and knew a lot of Bangladeshis there who had horror stories of their jouneys. One friend's parents were stuck on the tarmack in Karachi for hours. Another friend flew some Eastern European carrier while still under communism...

I don't want to load this answer down with other hints but I have a totally non-commercial article on the subject you're welcome to read. I fly alot alone with three closely spaced children, especially between Europe and California (yesterday, as a matter of fact...) since each was 4 months old. Many parents over the years have contributed their own tips so feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

There's more on strollers, packing, etc. I know there is a lot on the net on the subject but most are parents who never worked in the industry. I had the pleasure of 13 years of going through emergency and security training, as well as observing and helping other parents flying with their own...

Have a good flight!

Can i take a toddler car seat on a plane?




Drifter


I will be going on a 10-12 hour flight with my son (3 years old) and I will be purchasing his seat (full price). Can I take his car seat and put it on the plane seat so that he can eat and do everything?


Answer
Yes, car seats are highly recommended for children under 40lbs because it is safe for the child (especially during turbulence), makes them feel secure, is more comfortable for both parent and child, will help your child sleep, and gives both of you the opportunity to relax a bit.

In order to be certified for use on an airplane, the car seat has to met the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Check the labels on the side of your car restraint for a sticker (words will be printed in red) for verification that your seat is safe for airplane use. Almost all car seats pass this requirement.

Here is an example of what the SMVSS sticker would look like: http://jamiehassen79.angelfire.com/flying_children_pics/FMVSS.jpg

There is also a new device that is approved by the FAA for airline use ONLY. It is called CARES (Child Aviation Restraint System) and costs $75. It weighs 1 pound, is certified for all phases of flight (taxiing, take off, turbulence and landing), adjusts to fit ALL size airplane seats, and is approved for kids 22â44 lbs.
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/




I've been flying internationally and domestically with my children since they were 2 months (now 8, 6, and 3 months). At least three trips a year are the children and I traveling internationally (14+ hours each way) alone. In addition to that, we do another 8-10 international and domestic flights a year as a family. I have never had any problems with my children on any of the flights.

I wrote a small article about flying with children that goes more in-depth, gives security rules and regulations for the US, EU, UK, and Australia, offers tips and tricks for the travel, etc. http://www.angelfire.com/jamiehassen79/flying_children.html

If I can be of any more help or assistance, please feel free to contact me.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment